POST OFFICE ASSISTANT
Vacancy Number: 48 FSS VA20 RPA 86325
Closes: 04 December 2020, 23:5
37.50 hours per week
£8.66ph under 25 years / £9.22ph over 25 years
The 48th Force Support Squadron requires someone to provide postal services within the post office for the base organizations and personnel assigned
to RAF Lakenheath. These duties will include loading and unloading mail from all modes of transport, sorting and pitching ma il, delivering parcels to
patrons, separating mail bags and processing mail by sack and distributing personal mail to individual US postal service lock box es
Knowledge and Experience Required
Please provide detailed work experience as it relates to the required competencies listed below, as this will be used to determine your
qualification for this position.
1. Ability to learn numerous regulations, instructions, policies, and procedures pertaining to all types of Military Post Office
receiving and sending transactions.
2. Ability to learn the organizational and functional responsibilit ies and operations of Postal Service transactions.
3. Skill in handling various types of mail and parcels sufficient to determine correct assigned mail receptacle, or parcel locat ion and
to identify misplaced mail and parcels is desired..
4. Ability to effectively communicate orally with a diverse group of individuals, and provide prompt and courteous customer
5. Ability to operate a range of mail room equipment.
6. Ability to use office automated systems and software.
7. Ability to exercise alertness, composure, and good judgment in conducting transactions with customers.
Other Important Information
1. This is a position of trust and therefore incumbent must have no record of derogatory information or unfavorable conduct whic h
may cast doubt upon integrity.
2. No annual leave will be authorized between 15 November and 15 January, except in cases of emergency which must be approved
by the Commander.
3. The employee may be required to work uncommon duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends and/or public holidays.
4. May be assigned other duties that are appropriate to the grade and skill set of the incumbent.
5. The work requires long periods of standing, walking, bending, etc.; and requires recurring lifting and carrying of packages,
pouches, or bags up to 70 pounds.
6. Must have basic knowledge and familiarity of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
7. Will be required to observe US Federal Holidays in lieu of UK Public Holidays.
8. Please note that this position may be coded as mission essential.
May be required to work other than normal duty hours and tours of duty such as rotating shifts, overtime and weekends typically between
the hours of 0830 – 0100.
Paid Annual Leave
Paid Sick Leave
Life Assurance Scheme
Who Can Apply
Citizens of the U.K., Nationals of European Community (EC) Countries, and Commonwealth Citizens, other Foreign Nationals, and
Stateless persons provided no restrictions have been imposed as a condition of continued residency in the UK.
Applicants who have a minimum of five years consecutive residency in the UK are considered for this position; however, those who
do not meet this criteria will be cons idered on a case-by-case basis. All successful applicants will require a security clearance.
Please note pre-appointment security clearance requirements may delay start date.
Proof of identification in the form of a photo ID will be required, for example a driving licence or current passport.
This position may have certain restrictions to US citizens due to the Status of Forces Agreement.
For additional information contact the LNDH team on 01638 544955.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must complete an application form obtainable from the Civilian Personnel Website;
https://www.mildenhall.af.mil/Portals/9/documents/civ_pers/AFD-150724-024.pdf?ver=2016-04-28-085219-410 . All applications,
with relevant attachments and CV must be submitted via email to [email protected] and received prior to the closing date.
Equal Opportunity Employer
There will be no discrimination in employment practices based on gender, age, marital status, disability, race, nationality, religion or
beliefs, sexual orientation, being or not being a member of a trade union.