Keeper – Lower Vertebrates & Invertebrates
For the right candidate, this post offers a fantastic opportunity to work with a variety of species of reptiles and amphibian’s species including Komodo dragons, Mountain chicken frogs, Montseny brook newts, Ploughshare tortoises, Bermuda skinks, Henkel's leaf-tailed gecko, Sunda gharials and chameleons, to name a few.
The successful candidate will assist in all aspects of animal welfare, hygiene and life support. They will ensure that all exhibits are of an excellent standard for both animals and visitors alike, and provide outstanding customer care. Direct participation in the species conservation and research programmes ex and/or in situ will be also part of the daily duties.
The successful candidate will have:
- A HND or degree level qualification in a zoological related science or equivalent experience
- Proven experience of working in a Zoo or Aquarium setting with relevant Lower Vertebrate and Invertebrate species, and in particular reptiles
- Outstanding observational skills, attention to detail and be committed to ensuring the highest possible standards of animal health and welfare are met
- A thorough understanding of the contribution that ex situ populations can make to education, science and conservation
- Excellent exhibit theming skills
- Strong teamwork skills, adaptable to work in a group and independently
- Good competence in internal and external communications
Ideally, the successful candidate will also have:
- Experience of working in field conservation and conducting research projects
- Competency in the use of computers and basic software packages, including ZIMS software, in order to maintain accurate records
- Experience in conducting and publishing scientific research
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, worked 10 days out of 14, including weekends and Bank Holidays as rostered.
The salary for this position is £21,934.33 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at www.chesterzoo.org/work-with-us/staff-benefits/
To apply for this position, ‘Apply Now’ to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for our Keeper – Lower Vertebrates & Invertebrates role.
Closing date for applications is 1 December 2020
Shortlisting of applications and interviews for the role will take place while the advert is live; the advert will close once the successful candidate is found. Interested candidates are therefore encouraged to submit applications as quickly as possible.